Sunday, June 27, 2010

Swing it!

Well, I don't think I can really explain what happened here but I'll try. I first came up with this basic melody on the piano. After that I kind of just fit chords to it which is backwards from what I usually do. Most of the time I try to fit a melody with a chord progression instead of a chords to a melody. This worked out kind of well, I don't like how some of the chords sound in the first part of Finale with the clarinets. I'm not sure if that's bad orchestration on my part or just the sampling of Finale's instruments. Probably both, lol.

The second half of this short piece was really unexpected for me. Halfway through my original idea of the flute with clarinet accompaniment this just sprung into my mind. I knew I wanted to contrast the first half, but originally I was just going to transpose it into its relative minor key. I think I like this better:




I guess I could explain it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it was a little unexpected - the second half, that is.

    You know I'm not a huge fan of swing/jazz, but I generally enjoyed it. The driving pulse was more of what got me, and I enjoyed the chord progressions. I liked the transition, to a point. It was a little abrupt, but maybe that's what you were going for? I dunno. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete