Monday, June 28, 2010

Cave

A theme for a cave. Specifically created for Therion Online, an mmorpg currently in the works. This was kind of an experiment for me. I was looking for a way to make the cave unsettling without making the music itself too dark. I tried to do this by introducing a lot of different musical ideas that don't really seem related and then bringing them back at unexpected times. Can you let me know if I achieved my goal or does it just seem too random?



BTW: If the abrupt ending seems tacked on that's because it is. This is supposed to loop, so I just quickly added on a final chord on the end.

4 comments:

  1. Personally, I feel like instead of the effect being unsettling, it's just...odd. I liked the bell part in the beginning dancing oer everything, because it aurally embodies the feeling of dripping stalactites...which I like. It adds to the feeling of being enclosed, sort of. With the high pitches on the much lower, it leaves the comfortable middle ground open, which creates the feeling/image of a cave in one's mind.

    The middle part seemed ineffective. But I can definitely see where you were going with it. I liked the idea, I just feel that it'd be more effective if you stuck with something like the beginning. Maybe add a third line, in an upper low brass voice (maybe horn or euphonium) with a minor-lead line?

    Eh, just my thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goal; Achieved imo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you ever finished any music for the game. I put the project in stasis because I thought no one was actually doing any work but me. : /

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was slower than last time but I was still working on it. I was going to speed up the process when I got a better concept for an idea for the entire game, I wanted one central style to work off of. I had six tracks edited and ready to go. I was waiting until I got to around ten to send them in a zip file.

    ReplyDelete